Donor Advised Funds
A Donor-Advised Fund is an irrevocable gift to the Georgia United Methodist Foundation to establish an account which is named by you. You as the donor can choose from among our wide range of investment fund options designed to meet both long- and short-term investment goals. Account advisors have the privilege of making grant recommendations to support public charities such as your United Methodist church and other related ministries close to your heart.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who should invest?
Donor-Advised Funds are appropriate for investors who want to:
- Make an immediate, irrevocable gift
- Take an income tax deduction in the current year and deploy the contribution in future years
- Assist one or more United Methodist churches or ministries over multiple time periods
- Establish a charitable fund that will grow over time and provide grants in the future
How does a Donor-Advised Fund work?
You make an irrevocable gift to the Georgia United Methodist Foundation to establish an account which is named by you. After establishing the account, you may designate yourself and/or others as advisors. As an advisor you have the privilege of making grant recommendations to support public charities such as your United Methodist church and other related ministries close to your heart.
Is there a minimum contribution required to open an account?
Yes. The minimum to open a gift fund is $10,000. The minimum grant recommendation is $500.
Is this a new program of GUMF?
No. We have been assisting donor clients in this way for years.
How do I open a Donor-Advised Fund?
1. Obtain a copy of a Donor-Advised Fund Application by contacting GUMF at 770-449-6726, 877-220-5664 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Complete the Donor-Advised Fund Application and send it to GUMF and your account will be established and ready to receive your contribution.
Can I receive income from the Fund?
No, an individual cannot receive a grant or distribution from the fund. Only churches and charities that are recognized by the IRS as a “qualified charity” under code 501(c)(3) can receive a grant from your fund. However, the GUMF does offer Life Income Gifts such as Charitable Gift Annuities, Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts, Charitable Remainder Unitrusts and Charitable Lead Trusts that we would be happy to discuss with you.
How do I make a grant recommendation?
You may make grant recommendations by contacting GUMF at 770-449-6726, 877-220-5664 or email@example.com.
What if I should pass away before all the funds in my account have been distributed?
You can designate a family member or another representative to be a successor and advise the Foundation on future distributions. Your estate plan can also instruct GUMF concerning a distribution plan or can establish a permanent endowment to support your United Methodist church or related ministries.