The Georgia United Methodist Foundation’s Senior Advisor to the President and Director of Lending James (Jim) F. Pope and Loan Administrator Lori Tucker answer frequently asked questions about our Loan Program, which serves chuches and nonprofits.
1. What types of loans, terms and rates does the Foundation offer?
JIM: We offer construction loan terms generally up to 1 year. Our current construction loan rate is 5.25% fixed*. We also offer permanent loan terms up to 20 years. Our current permanent loan rate is 4.75%* fixed for the first five years. The minimum loan amount is $25,000.
2. What types of loans does the Foundation offer?
LORI: We offer loans for a variety of projects including but not limited to:
- Construction of a new building.
- Purchase of a parsonage or an existing building.
- Land acquisitions to expand a church’s ministry.
- Renovations to the sanctuary, fellowship hall or another church-related building.
- Ministry expansions such as a preschool.
- Refinancing of another institution’s loan.
3. Is there a penalty for prepaying or paying off the loan?
JIM: There is no penalty for prepayments or early payoff. Prepayments must be in a minimum amount of $1,000.
4. Is there a balloon payment at some point?
LORI: We do not have balloon payments. We adjust the rate every five years to the current rate the Foundation offers at the time.
5. Does the Foundation charge points on the loan?
JIM: We do not charge points, just standard closing costs, which generally include attorney and recording fees.
6. What sets the Foundation apart from other lending institutions?
LORI: Generally our loans are less restrictive with lower costs than other lenders. We make loans only to churches and church-related entities. We understand church finances better than others.
7. Does the Foundation offer support after a loan closes?
JIM: We are always available to consult with churches on future growth strategy, capital campaigns, or challenges they may be experiencing.
8. How is the Foundation's Loan Program funded?
LORI: Our Certificate Program, which offers 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-year fixed-rate investments, provides funding for loans to churches and nonprofits.
9. How do I learn more about the Foundation's Loan Program?
For more information, please:
1. View our brief video "Why Your Church or Agency Should Choose GUMF for Your Loan" here.
2. Download our Loans with the Foundation brochure here.
3. Contact Jim Pope, Foundation senior advisor to the president and director of lending, at 770-449-6726, 770-841-5163 (cell) or email@example.com or Lori Tucker, Foundation loan administrator, at 770-449-6726 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The minimum loan amount is $25,000. Please note all rates are subject to change from time to time without notice. Please contact the Foundation for the current rates.
*Please note: These rates are as of November 2022. All rates are subject to change without notice. For current rates, please contact the Foundation at 770-449-6726.